I really love salmon, but we don’t do anywhere near enough with it. I’m a bit fussy, I don’t like it on it’s own, but I don’t like it with too powerful a sauce either. I need something quite delicate.
That’s why a Simple Salmon Traybake is perfect. You can pretty much add what you want. I go for a little drizzle of oil to make sure everything cooks well and crisps nicely. Then I add a little tarragon and parsley, which I think work fantastically well with fish without overpowering each other. Then just a little salt and pepper to finish.
I tend to use frozen salmon fillets, because they’re cheaper, and good to have in the freezer when you need a quick and easy meal.
Frozen fillets usually cook best from frozen. So, I put them in the oven at the same time as everything else, and give it all a good oil and herb drizzle. If you prefer to use fresh, bake everything else for 20minutes first and add the salmon later, you can always add a little extra oil and herbs to help flavour it as it cooks.
Simple Salmon Traybake
- 4 Salmon Fillets
- 250 g New Potatoes – Bigger ones halved or sliced
- 1 Red Pepper – Sliced into 8 Chunks
- 1 Red Onion – Sliced into 8 Chunks
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes – On the vine broken into 3’s
- 12 Asparagus Spears or Tips
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Tarragon
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Good Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Place the potatoes and veg on a large baking sheet
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle on the tarragon, parsley and salt and pepper
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and toss
- Nestle on the salmon fillets
- Bake for a further 20 minutes until the salmon is cooked and the potatoes are soft