As anyone that visits a lot, or follows me on Instagram will know, I love brownies. We make them quite regularly and love to try out new flavours. Chocolate orange is a combination I absolutely love in any form, so when we went to Aldi and found some amazing Aldi own chocolate orange segments I knew I was going to have to try chocolate orange brownies.
Now my flavoured brownies usually stick to my basic brownie recipe. But, this one is a big different. In part, because I went to a different supermarket. My usual chocolate comes in 300g bars. This one was 200g. I did not check and I wasn’t going back out. But also, there’s more liquid in the mix from the orange juice and essence. These factors meant adjustments had to be made. These adjustments led to a thinner brownie, so the cooking time is shorter. But this also obviously meant I had to top with a ganache. Just so I wasn’t missing out. If you want to have a go at my chocolate orange brownies,
You Will Need
For the Brownie
- 200g Butter
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- 180g Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 140g Plain Flour
- 60g Cocoa
- 1 Orange. Juice and zest
- 1 Tsp Orange Extract
For the Ganache
- 3 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 125g Orange Chocolate
- 125g Double cream
First, preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a large, deep baking tray with greaseproof paper. You could just grease it with butter but I find paper makes it much easier to remove them.
When I make brownies, I like to prepare everything. The first few stages use your ingredients in pairs. So, I put my butter in a large mixing bowl and add the chocolate, breaking it up. I put the eggs and sugar into another large bowl and the flour and cocoa into a third.
While a little water is heating in a saucepan to melt the chocolate over, whisk the eggs and sugar together for a few minutes. You’ll know they are ready when they are light and fluffy, they become a lighter colour. Set this to one side until you need it.
Once the water is simmering, place the mixing bowl containing the chocolate and butter over it and melt together, stirring constantly. I actually take it off the heat once it’s come up to a simmer as I’ve got an awful habit of melting the bowl to the pan. I really must invest in a ceramic bowl.
Once it’s a smooth mixture, remove from the water and pour the sugar and egg mixture in. Stir together well until it’s a smooth even colour. Now, add the juice from one large orange and the orange extract. Stir together.
Sieve in the flour and cocoa and fold together. Pour into the baking tray and tilt until the mixture fills the tray.
Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. I checked it after 20, but it was still quite wobbly.
When ready, remove from the oven and set to one side. Leaving in the tray.
For the ganache, place the cream, chocolate and cocoa in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring constantly. If you don’t have orange chocolate, use milk or dark and just add another tsp of the orange essence.
Once this is a smooth mixture and the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and pour over the brownie, spreading evenly. While it’s still runny, I stab the brownie randomly with a knife, so the ganache gets inside and makes it extra moist.
To finish your chocolate orange brownies, grate orange zest on top.
Once the ganache has started to set, lift out of the tray and leave on the side to cool completely before cutting.
Chocolate Orange Brownies
For the Brownie
- • 200g Butter
- • 200g Dark Chocolate
- • 180g Caster Sugar
- • 4 Eggs
- • 140g Plain Flour
- • 60g Cocoa
- • 1 Orange-juice and zest
- • 1 Tsp Orange Extract
For the Ganache
- • 3 Tbsp. Cocoa
- • 125g orange Chocolate
- • 125g Double cream
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a deep baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Over a little simmering water or in the microwave, melt together the chocolate and butter in a large mixing bowl
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, add to the melted chocolate and stir together well
- Add the juice of an orange and the orange essence, stir together
- Sieve in the flour and cocoa
- Fold together until smooth
- Pour into baking tray and spread evenly
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Remove from the oven and set to one side to cool
- For the ganache, place the orange chocolate, cream and cocoa in a small pan
- Heat gently, stirring constantly until smooth and the chocolate has all melted
- Pour over the brownie and spread evenly
- Stab the brownie randomly with a knife
- Finish by grating zest on top
- Remove from the tray as soon as the ganache begins to set but leave to cool before cutting