I can’t bake cakes. I’ve always been very clear about this. That is until I made the lemon drizzle cake. The lemon drizzle cake is so amazingly good, I’ve eaten about a million of them since baking that first one and they always, always work! This Chocolate Fudge Loaf Cake has always been the most popular recipe on my blog. So, it seemed like a good idea to add some new photos and tips.
Since writing the original recipe I’ve made this Chocolate Fudge Loaf Cake loads of times. The kids absolutely love it, and it’s a great one for them to help with. It’s so ridiculously simple, and it always works out.
The chocolate sponge is light and moist, and the fudge icing is sweet and gooey. It’s the perfect Chocolate Fudge Loaf Cake for the whole family to enjoy.
We’ve just made it again on a lovely hot afternoon, all dancing around the kitchen and eating sneaky bits of cake mix. The only problem we have is waiting for it to cool before icing, and then waiting for it to set before eating. It’s worth it though to sit down with a cup of coffee and a very small* slice of this delicious Chocolate Fudge Loaf Cake.
*a quarter of the cake. I’ve said it makes 12 slices, and it really really could if you wanted it to. Good luck with that.
Chocolate Fudge Loaf Cake
For the cake:
- 170 g Butter
- 170 g Caster sugar
- 130 g Self-raising flour
- 40 g Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3 eggs
For the Fudge Icing
- 4 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 75 g Butter
- 150 g Chocolate -Broken into squares
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 200 g Icing sugar
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a loaf tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix in thoroughly.
- Sieve in the flour, baking powder and cocoa and fold in well.
- Pour into the loaf tin, spread evenly and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before tipping out to cook on a wire rack.
For the icing
- Melt the butter, vanilla and chocolate together in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Once smooth add the cocoa and icing sugar.
- Mix together well.
- Pour over cake and leave to cool.