We love burgers. Husband makes the best beef burgers ever, and we love trying new toppings and combinations. This is a love that the kids have inherited. Robyn looks so funny holding a massive burger, but she absolutely loves them. We’d probably eat a big juicy beef burger twice a week if we could. But, this would be incredibly unhealthy. So, I’ve been working on a Healthy Turkey Burger.
Turkey mince is a fantastic alternative to beef. The pack I buy is 3% fat, but even a higher fat content option would be healthier than beef.
But, I find it can be a little bland. Which certainly isn’t something that you want from your Healthy Turkey Burgers.
So, I’ve spent a little time trying new things and coming up with a Healthy Turkey Burgers Recipe that’s easy to make and still packed with flavour.
These burgers are just right. The squash gives them added vegetables but also a different texture and some extra flavour and the hot sauce just gives it a little extra kick. Feel free to add a little salt and pepper too if you want.
Often recipes like this call for grated butternut squash. But, I prefer to roast it beforehand, leave it to cool and then just use my hands to mash it in with the mince. I find it all comes together well and roasting it brings the flavours out much more than simply grating and then cooking in the burger.
I like to add cheese and mayo to my Healthy Turkey Burger, but it’s still healthier because I’d have done that with a massive fatty beef burger too, so calories are still saved. And, at about 400 calories a burger (depending on your roll) an extra few for a bit of cheese isn’t going to hurt is it?!
My Super Simple, Wonderfully Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe
Healthy Turkey Burgers
- 500 g Turkey Mince
- 200 g Butternut Squash – Peeled and Chopped into 1inch chunks
- 2 tbsp Hot Chilli Sauce
- 2 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 4 Bread Rolls – To Serve
- Salad – To Serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and lightly oil a baking tray.
- Put the butternut squash on the tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, until soft.
- Leave the squash to cool.
- Place the mince, crushed garlic, butternut squash, tomato puree, and chilli sauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to mix together.
- Separate into 4 balls.
- Lightly oil a baking tray, place the balls on and squash into burger shaped patties.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the patties for 2 minutes on each side before returning to the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Serve on bread rolls with salad and condiments of choice.
- I use a calorie-controlled cooking spray instead of oil.
- I also use Pips Hot Sauce for my chilli.
- We serve our burgers with sweet potato wedges.
- If after mixing the ingredients together, they feel too wet, squeeze out any excess liquid with your hands before shaping.