I love Rocky Road. Frequent readers might notice that I have a few Rocky Road recipes. I like to add all different chocolate and other bits and bobs. It’s a super easy way to combine all of your favourite things into one super sweet calorie filled treat. Twix Rocky Road is my latest addition. I think Twix is an underrated chocolate bar. They’re yummy, but no one ever says, “I right fancy a Twix”. This means that you can get a massive multipack for about £1.50!
One thing that I always add to my Rocky Roads is fruit. The other day me and Bobsy got some pic and mix. Husband, upon sticking his hand in said: “why would you get chocolate raisins?” Now, this is our first major marital disagreement right here. Why on earth wouldn’t you get chocolate raisins?! Honestly, one of my favourite bits of a pic and mix. I’d probably be happy with a whole bag of chocolate raisins. As a side note, pic and mix is generally the best thing ever isn’t it? I have a very vivid memory of being at a service station in Germany when I was about 14 and spending 17…what would then have been Deutsche Marks (is this right?!) on a big bag of pic and mix. Now I haven’t got a clue how much that is in Pounds or even Euro’s. But it was a bloody big bag that lasted all the way back to England on a coach.
So, yes, there’s always raisins, and there’s usually cherries. Because they’re my favourites. But, change it up and add the bits that you like. I love getting a mouthful of crunchy biscuit, squashy marshmallow and juicy fruit all together. It’s a big texture and taste explosion. However, I have changed things up a little bit with my Twix Rocky Road.
Usually, I use the same recipe for all of my Rocky Roads. I cover all of the chopped fruit and biscuit with a combination of butter, cocoa powder, sugar and golden syrup. I then top it all with melted chocolate. This gives you a great thick chocolate layer on the top. But, if you don’t get it quite right, it means the middle is always a bit gooey and doesn’t set. So, I simplified. I basically mixed it all with melted chocolate, added Twix bits to the top and set in the fridge. It worked really well, and it’s nice and chunky.
Twix Rocky Road
- 10 Twix Fingers – Plus 4 to top, all chopped up
- 50 g Glace Cherries – Chopped up
- 50 Raisins
- 100 g Mini Marshmallows
- 200 g Digestive Biscuits – Chopped
- 300 g Milk Chocolate
- Mix the biscuits, Twix, raisins, cherries and marshmallows in a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate gently in a pan.
- Pour the chocolate onto the rocky road mix and stir until covered.
- Tip into the tin and press the remaining 4 chopped fingers into the top to decorate.
- Leave to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours until firm.
- I use an 8”x8” square cake tin.
- You can use rich tea biscuits if you prefer.
- I freeze my Twix bars for 1 hour before using. This makes them easier to chop and ensures that they hold shape when placed in melting chocolate.
- You can also use a bag of Twix Bites instead of bars.