I’m one of those people that loves mixing sweet and savoury. I put pineapple on pizza, and I’m addicted to parsnip and apple soup. So, it should come as no surprise that I also love the combination of sweet and sour. When I eat this Sweet and Sour Pork, I like to get a fork full of pork and pineapple. They just taste so great together.
Bobsy loves pineapple. I tend to just buy a tin of chunks when I make Sweet and Sour Pork or chicken, and as I’m cooking she keeps running into the kitchen with a bowl shouting “more pineapple please mummy!!” until eventually, I have to stop her, or there’d be none in the meal.
This Sweet and Sour Sauce is super easy, you’ll probably have most of the ingredients in already, and you can use pretty much any vegetables. I tend to go for carrots, peppers (yellow this time, but my favourite is half red half green), onions and pineapple. You can also make the sauce in advance and keep it in the fridge until you need it.
- 600g Diced Pork
- 80ml Tomato ketchup
- 30g Light brown sugar
- 65g Caster sugar
- 2 Cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 100ml Apple cider vinegar
- 4tbsp Reduced Salt Soy sauce
- 1 Yellow Pepper – sliced
- 1 Onion – sliced
- 200g Pineapple chunks
- 2 Medium carrots – cut into thin batons
- Cooking Oil
Make the sauce first by adding the ketchup, sugars, garlic, vinegar and soy to a jug or cup and whisking. If you are using later, cover and place in the fridge. Giving it a good whisk before you use it.
Fry the chopped vegetables in a little oil, or steam for a few minutes until softened slightly. Tip into a bowl and leave to one side.
Fry the pork in a little cooking oil for a few minutes until browned. Pour in the Sweet and Sour Sauce and bring to the boil, stirring often. Reduce to a simmer and leave for 15 minutes. Stirring every few minutes (or, if you are like me, when you remember…as in, once!) Don’t forget to put your rice on!
After 15 minutes, add the vegetables and pineapple and stir in well. Simmer for a further 10 minutes, until the veg is hot and the sauce has thickened, add a little cornflour if needed.
Sweet and Sour Pork is fantastic with brown rice or noodles for a change.
Sweet and Sour Pork
- • 600g Diced pork
- • 80ml Tomato ketchup
- • 30g Light brown sugar
- • 65g Caster sugar
- • 2 Cloves garlic – finely chopped
- • 100ml Apple cider vinegar
- • 4tbsp Reduced Salt Soy sauce
- • 1 Yellow Pepper - sliced
- • 1 Onion - sliced
- • 200g Pineapple chunks
- • 2 Medium carrots – cut into thin batons
- • Cooking oil
- To make the sauce, add the vinegar, garlic, sugars, soy and ketchup to a jug and whisk
- Leave to one side until needed
- Fry or steam the veg for a few minutes until softening, set to one side
- Fry the pork in a pan with a little cooking oil until browned
- Pour in the sweet and sour sauce
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally before adding the veg and pineapple
- Cook for a further 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened
- Serve with rice or noodles