Homemade soup is one of my favourite things. Even more so if it comes with a chunky loaf of homemade bread. Which it always does in our house. Soup is such as easy way to put flavours together and try new combinations. If it works, which it nearly always does, it’s great to try the pairings in other recipes. My favourite soup is probably our leek and potato, or maybe the sweet potato, but then it might be the parsnip and apple. This Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup made a lovely change though. It’s not a flavour I’d ever had before, but it’s certainly something that I’ll try again.
As with most of my meals, this Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup wasn’t planned. There was a cauliflower in my fridge that was past it’s best and I hate waste, so it needed using. My first thought was a cauliflower cheese soup because cauliflower cheese is yummy. But, I wasn’t sure that it could compete with a broccoli and stilton (I’d like to backtrack here, that’s my favourite soup!!) so I decided to try something different. We hadn’t got much in, so Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup was born.
It’s such a lovely flavour. I used 5 cloves of garlic and one pretty big cauliflower, so if you prefer a stronger garlic flavour, add more. You can also skip the cream if you are vegan or dieting, but I think it gives it a fantastic creamy flavour. But then I’d probably add cream to most things if I’m being completely honest.
My Homemade Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup Recipe
Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup
- 1 Onion Finely sliced
- 1 Large Cauliflower
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Litre Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Thyme
- Pinch Pepper
- 300 ml Double cream
- Cooking oil
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees
- Chop the cauliflower into large chunks, place it on a baking tray with the garlic and drizzle with oil, tossing to coat.
- Roast in the oven for 1 hour.
- Fry the onion in a little oil in a large pan for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the cauliflower and garlic and pour in the stock.
- Stir in the thyme.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend using a stick blender or food processor.
- Return to the heat and add the cream and pepper to taste.
- Stir well and serve immediately.