Chilli is one of our favourite meals. The kids love it, as long as it’s not too spicy, and me and husband especially love having the leftovers on a jacket potato the day after. That’s probably the best thing about chilli. You can make a massive batch and either freeze what’s left for another day or put it on a jacket potato or eat it with some tortilla chips. You could even have it on pasta or a sandwich if you wanted to. Adding cheese also works amazingly well. Even better than this, is when the original chilli has been made from leftovers.
Leftover Turkey Chilli is fantastic. Leg meat works best in this kind of dish, but honestly, throw everything you’ve got in. Once the meat has been cooked, it’s easy to shred what’s left when it’s cold. You can easily just pull it off the bone and into smaller chunks and strips with your fingers. If you prefer not to stick your hands in, use two forks to pull the meat apart. The big lumps of meat in the chilli make a nice change from the texture of mince. I really like the textures of this meal, especially with fluffy white rice.
This is quite a nice way to use up your leftover Christmas turkey, as it’s completely different to a Christmas dinner, and quite a bit healthier. The spice also means that you’ll need some dairy afterward, for recovery. So, you’ll have to eat some more of those Quality Street to get you through*.
Aside from Leftover Turkey Chilli, we love the good old Turkey Curry, but honestly, my favourite way to use any leftover meat, at any time of the year, is in a sandwich. I’m such a massive bread lover, I’d put almost anything in a sandwich, and it’s great. Another fantastic option would be a turkey pasta bake. How do you like your leftovers?
*Jokes, the Quality Street rarely survives to Christmas. Not the first box at least!
Leftover Turkey Chilli
- 800 g Turkey Leg - Shredded
- 1 Onion – Finely Diced
- 2 Cloves garlic - Crushed
- 1 Red Pepper – Finely Sliced
- 400 g Chopped tomatoes
- 2 Fresh chillies – Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Coriander
- 2 Bay leaves
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Splash Henderson’s relish
- 1 Tbsp Chilli Powder
- 500 ml Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Tin kidney beans - Drained
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- Cook the onion and garlic in a little oil over a medium heat for a few minutes until soft
- Add the turkey meat, and continue to cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes
- Add the red pepper and chopped tomatoes and stir together
- Tip in the Henderson’s, cumin, coriander, bay leaves, chilli, cinnamon, salt and pepper and chilli powder and mix together well
- Pour in the stock and stir until even
- Add the tomato puree, mix and bring to a simmer
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the kidney beans, and simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve with rice for a yummy meal
- 800g of turkey leg meat is ideal, but you can use whatever you’ve got left, including breast. Add extra beans if there’s significantly less turkey.
- If you’re not using leftover meat, buy diced turkey legs, and precook them so that they are easy to shred.