So, I’ve now made Garlic and Honey Chicken a few times. Each time using different vegetables. You can literally put anything in it. I’d never thought to stir-fry some of them, but apparently, everything works! The time I took the photos, we had some sprouts, carrots and cauliflower leftover in the fridge. So, I stir-fried them. Honestly, stir-fry sprouts are the way forward. If you prefer, peppers and mushrooms or broccoli and carrots all work well too.
I did however also forget to put the garlic in this time! Chicken with stir-fried sprouts in a honey sauce was pretty good, and the kids loved it! So, if you’re not a garlic fan, just skip it. I love garlic, so I tried it again with garlic, and it was even better.
- 100g Sprouts
- 2 Large carrots
- Half a cauliflower
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 100ml Vegetable stock
- 3tbsp Clear honey
- 2tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2tbsp Soy sauce
- 2tbsp cornflour
- Cooking oil
We served our Garlic and Honey Chicken with rice, but noodles would also work great. I actually love noodles, so this is something I’m keen to try.
To save time, make the sauce beforehand and keep in the fridge until you are ready. You could even chop and stir-fry the vegetables and then pop them in the fridge until later.
For the sauce, add the honey, veg stock, soy and vinegar to a jug and stir, add one tbsp or cornflour and whisk in. Put to one side until you are ready.
Now, peel and finely chop the vegetables, crush the garlic and chop the chicken. Fry the veggies in a little oil until softened. I found cauliflower took a while, so just to make sure I added a little water to my pan and covered it with a lid. This steamed the veg and made sure they were soft, without risking burning.
Once the veg is soft, empty into a bowl and set to one side.
Next, fry the chicken for a few minutes until browned and cooked through, add the garlic and stir. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
Tip the vegetables back in and pour in the sauce. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes. If after this time the sauce is still too thin, add the other tbsp of cornflour and stir in. When the sauce reaches the desired consistency, serve with rice.
Garlic and Honey Chicken is sweet, a little tangy and a bit different. I’m always a little worried about giving the kids something new, but they loved this.
Garlic and Honey Chicken
- • 100g Sprouts
- • 2 Large carrots
- • Half a cauliflower
- • 4 Cloves garlic
- • 4 Chicken breasts
- • 100ml Vegetable stock
- • 3tbsp Clear honey
- • 2tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- • 2tbsp Soy sauce
- • 2tbsp cornflour
- • Cooking oil
- For the sauce, mix the veg stock, honey, vinegar and soy in a jug and whisk in 1tsbp cornflour.
- Set to one side
- Peel and finely chop the veg, crush the garlic and chop the chicken
- Stir fry the veg in a little oil for a few minutes until starting to soften
- Remove from the pan and set to one side
- Fry teh chicken for a few minutes until brown and cooked through
- Add the garlic and fry for a further 3 minutes
- Put the vegetables back in the pan. Stir well
- Pour in the sauce, stir and simmer for 10 minutes
- If the sauce needs further thickening, add the final tbsp on cornflour and mix in
- Once the sauce has thickened slightly, serve with rice