Cheesecake is one of my great loves. As are lemons. Well, not lemons, no one actually likes lemons. But, lemons as an ingredients or addition (hi gin and tonic!) A few weeks ago, I made an absolutely gorgeous rich chocolate cheesecake. It was the best cheesecake I’ve ever made. But, if I’m honest, chocolate isn’t my favourite cheesecake flavour. Or my favourite dessert flavour in general. Which is possibly a little odd, as on its own chocolate is the best thing in the world. When it comes to desserts, and especially cheesecakes, I prefer a fruity flavour. A No Bake Lemon Cheesecake in particular.
No Bake Cheesecakes are so simple. When you find a recipe that you like, that works for you; you can very easily adapt the flavours. Adding whatever you like. It’s basically cream cheese, sugar, and double cream, with whatever flavour you want stirred in. Honestly, the hardest part is not eating it before it’s fully set. Which you absolutely can do, of course, a slightly not set No Bake Lemon Cheesecake is a wonderful thing. But, it’s better if you can leave it for a few hours. Preferably at least 5.
I did adapt my recipe slightly. The chocolate cheesecake is pretty rich, so I only like a thin layer. I don’t have this issue with lemon. It will also depend on how sour your lemons are, you might want to add a little more sugar, or cheese to get the taste that you like. My original plan was also to swirl some lemon curd around the top, but we didn’t have any. Which is crazy, we’ve always got lemon curd! So, I just finished it with a few shavings of lemon skin in the centre. You can skip this entirely if you prefer.
While you are waiting for it to set, to keep you going, I highly recommend using some of the unused digestives (you need 200g, so buy a 400g pack!!) to scoop any remaining cheesecake mixture out of the bowl. It’s like a mini No Bake Lemon Cheesecake sensation!
Personally, I think this is one of the best desserts at any time, but we had this one in July when it was really really hot, which at the time we all moaned about, but I’m sure we’ll all be looking back on fondly in no time. It’s the perfect pudding for summer. Sweet, yet tangy and refreshing.
Easy No Bake Lemon Cheesecake
For the Base
- 200 g Digestive Biscuits – Crushed into fine crumbs
- 50 g Butter – Melted
For the Cheesecake Mix
- 200 ml Double Cream – Whipped to peaks
- 300 g Cream Cheese
- 180 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Lemons – Zest and Juice
- Lightly grease a loose bottomed tin.
- Mix the biscuit crumbs with the melted butter, stirring so all of the biscuit is coated.
- Tip into the tin and press down with the back of a metal spoon, or the back of your fingers.
- Leave in the fridge until needed.
- Gently mix together the cream cheese and sugar.
- Add the lemon juice and zest and stir.
- Gently spoon this into the double cream and fold until combined.
- Tip this over the biscuit base and smooth.
- Finish with lemon skin shavings if desired.
- Leave to set in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
- I use a loose-bottomed fluted flan tin that’s 10inchs across.
- Take care not to over mix when adding your cheese to cream. Stop as soon as the mixture is smooth.