Me and The Boy have been making gingerbread for years. This Christmas to save a little money, we’ve decided to make some of our gifts. Gingerbread was the first thing to try. Because obviously, we need to experiment a little first, make sure it’s nice, find out how many fit into a jar etc. It’s going to be a fun month!
I absolutely love the smell of gingerbread, it lingers for a few days. This has got a little cinnamon in too, so our flat smells gorgeous.
You will need:
- 350g Plain flour
- 1tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Ginger
- 130g Butter
- 175g Soft light brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- 4 tbsp. Golden syrup
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a baking tray.
Sieve the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub together with your fingers, until it’s like breadcrumbs, quite even with no big lumps of butter.
Add the sugar. Now I always find brown sugar, even the “soft” variety, gets really hard and clumps together, so I used my hands to break it apart into a powder. Still it all together well.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, add the golden syrup and stir together.
Add this to the mixing bowl. Start mixing with a wooden spoon, but you’ll find its quite dry and crumbly. I tip it out onto a lightly-floured surface and knead it together with my hands until it’s a big smooth lump of dough.
Clingfilm the dough, and put in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
Lightly dust a surface with flour, and roll the dough out until it’s about 3mm thick. Use cookie cutters, or cut shapes out with a knife.
Place on the baking tray, leaving a little room between each biscuit.
Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
Decorate with icing pens if you want. To be honest I prefer them plain.
This recipe made 60 small biscuits, so maybe 20 big gingerbread men. This is the perfect size for putting in a jar as a gift.
- • 350g Plain flour
- • 1tsp. Baking powder
- • 1tsp. Cinnamon
- • 2tsp. Ginger
- • 130g Butter
- • 175g Soft light brown sugar
- • 1 Egg
- • 4tbsp. Golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a baking tray
- Sieve flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger into a large mixing bowl
- Add the butter, and rub together with your fingers, until breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar and mix together well
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, and the syrup and mix together. Pour into the flour mixture
- Mix together as best as you can, tip on to a lightly floured surface and knead until a smooth dough
- Clingfilm dough and place in the fridge for 15 minutes
- Lightly dust a surface with flour and roll out the dough to 3mm
- Use cookie cutters to make shapes
- Place on the baking tray
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from the baking tray and leave to cool